Moving is a big project, and if you have an entire household of belongings to relocate, it can mean using a lot of materials, fuel, and time too. Naturally, this has an impact on the environment. But you can reduce your carbon footprint with some more mindful practices.
Consider hiring Kansas City long-distance movers who are environmentally friendly to handle your move. Or look out for ways you can cut down on waste and avoid throwing unwanted items into the garbage.
As established residential movers in Kansas City we know there are many things that your long-distance moving company can do to reduce their environmental impact. Here’s a few of them.
Provide Reusable Materials and Packing Supplies
A household move results in plenty of waste and debris, but is this really an unavoidable thing? Or can you reduce and eliminate the packaging waste that comes with your relocation?
It’s a growing trend to offer customers reusable packing supplies when taking care of their moves. You may want to inquire with your moving company to see if they can provide you with:
- Reusable wardrobe boxes for hanging clothing items
- Plastic crates for residents to store household items in and employees to keep workstations in
- Moving blankets and large rubber bands to protect and secure furniture
Maintain an Environmentally Conscious Office
While many companies may provide reusable packing supplies and materials, there are some movers who take environmentally sound practices to the next level in their offices and warehouses. Consider checking with your mover to see how they conduct business, such as:
- Using wind or solar power in their facilities
- Encouraging employee recycling with recycled materials and recycling disposal
- Use of recycled office materials, like paper, ink, and plastics
- Servicing of their truck fleet in an eco-friendly way, such as installing telematics to keep their fleet organized
- Implementing the practice of full truckload shipping to optimize fuel usage
How Residential Customers Can Reduce the Environmental Impact of their Moves
Besides working with a professional moving company that follows eco-friendly business practices, there are also ways that you can help the environment during your move. For instance, donate as much as you can to local charities instead of transporting those items or throwing them away.
Organizations like Goodwill and the Kidney Foundation have shops that sell donated items for money. You can donate older furniture, working electronics, and clothing that is in good condition. Also think about donating unused food to a local food bank instead of trying to transport it to a new home at a distance.
Other things you can do to help the environment during your move include:
- Disposing of any paint, chemicals, or gas/oil according to local community regulations
- Disposing of any unwanted electronics and appliances that don’t work well or at all per community regulations
- Use linens and blankets you own to cushion other household goods in transport instead of packing peanuts or paper
- Look out for used cardboard boxes to pack your items in, such as delivery boxes and large packaging boxes from grocery stores
At Kings Moving & Storage, we offer flexible long-distance moving services that are designed around the customer’s wishes. We’re agents with northAmerican Moving Services, so use a single fleet of well-maintained vehicles with the latest technologies for long-distance moves. Plus, our team can also help you with:
- Packing Materials
- Full-Service Packing
- Partial Packing
- Short- & Long-Term Storage
- Vehicle Shipping
- Debris Removal
- Third-Party Services
When you want to start planning that long-distance move turn to Kings Moving & Storage. Call us to arrange a free move assessment and quote from one of our residential movers in Kansas City. Or fill in our online form to ask about our other moving services.
Subscribe to Kings Moving & Storage's Blog